Skip to main content

Prompt: The Media, Real Women and Gender Oppression


Wow. I’ve been wracking my brain to come up with some examples, but I keep coming up short. Luckily, I know a nineteen year old feminist who watches a lot of TV.  In particular, she brought up Orange is the New Black and Game of Thrones as examples of shows that portray strong women and shed light on gender inequity.
By virtue of the all-female cast on OITNB, issues of gender inequity are inevitably raised.  The inclusion of women of color and varying sexuality does much to promote feminist viewpoints.  My daughter sees the treatment of the prisoners by the guards as a metaphor for how the women are treated in real life, also exposing oppression in society. 
I found her inclusion of Game of Thrones to be interesting.  While I haven’t seen the show (I know…I need to watch it!), I have read about the controversies concerning the rapes and otherwise poor treatment of the female characters.  Do such plot points in some way elevate the oppression of women? Perhaps. But at the same time, many of the women characters are portrayed as strong, daunting characters not to be messed with.
The two shows that came to mind for me are The Americans and House of Cards. In the first, Elizabeth is the female of the Russian spy duo whose mission it is to fight the Cold War by infiltrating the U.S. government in Washington, D.C.  Time and again Elizabeth proves to be a kick-ass strong woman, oftentimes proving herself stronger mentally and emotionally than her husband.  In HOC Claire Underwood’s cold, but logical, intelligent personality keeps moving her one step closer to the Oval Office. The problem with both Elizabeth and Claire, it can be argued, is that they both seem to exhibit stereotypical male characteristics to find success. 
On another note, while I was reading the book and listening to last week’s discussion, I kept thinking about not just the media’s portrayal of women, but how women themselves are portraying themselves to the media.  When does celebrating one’s body and good looks cross over from feminism to enlightened sexism? Specifically, Ariel Winter comes to mind.  Is it because we’ve reached gender equality that she and others feel so comfortable showing off their bodies to anyone with a social media account, or is it actually a false sense of equality, as Susan Douglas argues?  My fear is it’s the latter.  Any thoughts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empathy: Read It. Live It.

Scout Finch was one lucky little girl.  The wisdom bestowed upon her by Atticus surely helped her navigate through some very trying times. But Scout and her brother Jem aren’t the only people to learn from Atticus’ advice and life lessons.  Anyone who reads To Kill a Mockingbird learns the importance of one of life’s most valuable soft skills: empathy, the ability to understand and share the feelings and emotions of others. My job as a high school English teacher entails working with students to become better communicators through reading, writing, speaking, and listening.  But studying and discussing literature can do so much more. It’s vital that young people today develop empathy towards others in order to combat the polarization, discrimination, and intolerance currently at play in society.  The study of literature and the lessons it imparts can help build empathy in our leaders of tomorrow. Recent studies on empathy have shown alarming results.  Fo...

Class Comments Blog Post

I found the required books for this course really, really interesting, especially the Space of Public Opinion and Nobody.   The progression of the media’s reporting and commenting about current news has changed so much with the advent of the internet.   It seemed like everyone tuned into the nightly network news when I was a kid, but not I don’t really hear anyone talking about last night’s broadcasts.   I can say that I don’t even know the names of the 3 major networks evening broadcasters.   We’ve switched from trusting a knowledgeable news journalist or two to trusting sound bites provided by basically anyone with a Twitter account. But honestly, what will stick with me the most about the class is Hill’s book, Nobody. Hill makes it so apparent that our country has done a lousy job of caring for and providing opportunities for the most vulnerable.   It’s an overwhelming reality that has absolutely no easy solution. I only hope that our leaders and future ...

Blog #4 Polarization

The rise of the “newer formats” was followed by the 2000 presidential election, so the environment was ripe for a more extreme political polarization to infect the country. It does seem like there has been a loss of mutual respect between opposing ideologies along with a reluctance to engage in civil discourse over pressing issues of the day. The word “compromise” has been forgotten by so many political pundits, and that has seemed to rub off on audiences.  When both sides are always in attack mode while simultaneously digging in their heels to promote their own agenda, it would appear unlikely that any real progress may be made.  With that being said, I do believe that this kind of programming has engaged a greater number of people, which can be good for democracy.  The entertainment value of the shows may be what initially increased viewership, but the result is more people watching and therefore learning about current affairs.  Certainly that can be consider...